Originally Posted by Jim Hef
Pretty sure the compartment would be sealed and vented in some way as to not allow an explosion if there were smoking inside the vehicle!
From the WK2jeeps.com website:
Battery location, access and removal
The battery is located under the passenger seat. A breather line runs from the battery through the bottom of the recess well to the outside of the vehicle.
Remote jump-start posts are located under the hood to assist in jump starting.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Be certain that all electrical accessories are turned off.
2. Remove the battery cover.
3. Remove the negative battery cable from the battery.
4. Disconnect the positive battery cable and position aside.
5. Remove the battery thermal blanket.
6. Remove the battery hold down retainers and remove the battery hold down.
7. Remove the battery from the vehicle
also nothing listed in removal section about having to take out seat to get battery out.