I am a novice when it comes to electrics and hope this helps first timers and other novices.
I did not test the resistor on it own as I didn't know how to.
For the not novices please comment if I have stuffed up so that I can correct the thread.
So I finally got around to resurrecting the blower motor resistor by replacing the burnt out bits with $7.35 of parts from the local electrical store.
I used 3 x 20cm lengths of heavy gage wire from a spare loom I had available, 6mm dual wall heat shrink ($5.00) and a packet of 2.5mm female spade connectors ($2.35). I also had some bits and pieces lying around to tidy up the end result as I like a tidy finish.
A soldering iron is required to complete the welds and also electrical tape.
Here is the problem
The resister is situated under the glovebox area and is held in place by 2 x phillips head screws and has wiring from the loom to the resistor
and wiring from resistor to the blower
Unscrew and separate the connectors and you should have a black resistor box with red and black wiring that connects to the blower. (Forgot to take photo)
Look at the loom to resistor connector
and it will have 3 x wires consisting of red, brown/yellow and black. The red (power) wire will have shorted and melted the connector (see above photo).
The black plastic cover of the resister has a tab on all 4 side which you can prize up to remove and you are left with:
You can see where the 3 x wires have to be connected to the 3 x prongs of the resister. The 3 prongs are labelled J1, J2 and J3.
J1 connects to the black / earth wire
J2 connects to brown/yellow wire
J3 connects to the red / power wire
I had to open up the 2.5mm female spades (with a small flat screw driver) as they were fractionally smaller, in order to to do this
Soldered heavy gage wire to spades and added heat shrink to get this
I widened the hole for the 3 x wires to fit through the black plastic housing (using the soldering iron)
threaded the wires back through the black housing, plugged up the gap, tidied up the wiring and put everything back together
Last but not least is to disconnect the earth on the battery and then cut off the loom to resistor connector so that you can splice, solder and heat shrink the red, brown/yellow and black wires to the blower motor resistor wiring and then use electrical tape and cover the heat shrink (just in case) .
Again it is:
J1 wire connects to the black / earth wire
J2 wire connects to brown/yellow wire
J3 wire connects to the red / power wire
Reconnect your resistor to blower connector, reattach the earth to the battery, complete a quick test to make sure all is working and then screw the resistor back into place (one of the screws is painfully hard to get back in).
And hopefully all is well again.