I keep a USB stick in my glove box and back up my RHR's address book anytime I make any major changes, because it does have the tendency to lock up and then blow everything away... since it won't sync the actual addresses from the address book on my iPhone, that makes things quite annoying.
This won't work if you keep media on your RHR... just address book...
- Format a USB stick (2GB or less) using the FAT file system (not GPT) on Windows. For some reason, a USB stick formatted in the MS-DOS format (using MBR) on my Mac doesn't work right...
- Stick the USB stick into the port on your RHR
- Power it up; go to Disc mode (without a disc in there), and then hold down the menu button and hold the two SEEK buttons.
- It'll warn you about Engineering mode, etc, etc. Ignore that.
- Scroll down to "HDD Backup" and select it
- Select "HD Backup to USB", confirm your stick
You can restore the same way after it decides to nuke everything at random... just select "HD Restore from USB".
If you keep having your RHR eat your address book, make sure you complain, LOUDLY, to the dealer and the Jeep 800 number. Repeatedly. If they don't know there's a problem, they won't fix it.