Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Technical Discussion > Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-16-2009, 06:11 PM
TimmyB's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,928
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 3942
TimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond repute
Heater blower motor resistor?

Last winter my heater fan wouldnt work except only on high, then all spring and summer it worked perfectly, but now its back to only working on high. I pretty much think its the resistor, as from my research I hear its a common part to go. Can it be repaired at all, from radio shack parts? And has this happened to anyone else, where it seems to be effected by the cold temps and doesnt work? I hope its just the resistor and not a faulty heater control unit, but it does work on high still which is good I guess so I wont freeze.
__________________

__________________
I love my Jeep :thumbsup:
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Joe in PA's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2004 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Harrisburg PA
Posts: 900
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 2764
Joe in PA has disabled reputation
Re: Heater blower motor resistor?

Do you have the manual temp control or the auto climate control? The manual uses a resistor to control the blower speed and the automatic used a power module. Near as I can tell neither is serviceable and need to be replaced as a unit when they fail. Both are located on the rear of the HVAC housing and can be reached by removing the glove box.

A quick check on moparpartsamerica.com shows the resistor cost about $6 and the power module cost about $55.

http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/par...layCatalogid=0
__________________

__________________
01' WJ Larado - 4.0L i6
04' WJ Freedom Edition - 4.7L HO
07' WK Limited - 5.7L Hemi
09' Mustang GT - Good For the Soul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-16-2009, 07:18 PM
TimmyB's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,928
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 3942
TimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heater blower motor resistor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe in PA View Post
Do you have the manual temp control or the auto climate control? The manual uses a resistor to control the blower speed and the automatic used a power module. Near as I can tell neither is serviceable and need to be replaced as a unit when they fail. Both are located on the rear of the HVAC housing and can be reached by removing the glove box.

A quick check on moparpartsamerica.com shows the resistor cost about $6 and the power module cost about $55.

http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/par...layCatalogid=0

I have the manual heater control. I found the resistor for about that same price online, but was just being cheap and seeing if maybe it can be repaired by soldering on something that can be bought from radio shack using cuircut board parts. Im getting good at soldering, lol. J4J is kinda close to me, i'll just drive out and pick one up this week since they have them cheap.
__________________
I love my Jeep :thumbsup:
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Long Live the Graphite Ghost

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13,418
Thanks: 55
Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
Rep Power: 542615
robpp has disabled reputation
Re: Heater blower motor resistor?

timmy there is also a TSB about this stuff.

let me get it.

its only 07 and 08 i think, but check it out.
http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2400209a.pdf
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chilliwack, BC
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1799
Vastier is on a distinguished road
Re: Heater blower motor resistor?

Your resistor will be more rust than metal which is why it's not working correctly. Moisture gets in there and the resistor isn't exactly weather proof. Very common problem and pretty easy to replace. Hardest part is getting to the screws to take the unit out from under the dash.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
08' Limited "S" CRD Quadradrive II 18"wheels / 00' TJ 4.0L on 35's with 5" of lift, locked front and back
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 PM
05srt12b's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 4.7L WK
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: okc
Posts: 215
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2052
05srt12b is on a distinguished road
Re: Heater blower motor resistor?

yeah mine went out too! anybody have pics of were this resister would be at?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chilliwack, BC
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1799
Vastier is on a distinguished road
Re: Heater blower motor resistor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05srt12b View Post
yeah mine went out too! anybody have pics of were this resister would be at?
It mounts into the back side of the blower motor. You can get to it under the dash on the pax. side. There will be a wiring harness attached to it.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
08' Limited "S" CRD Quadradrive II 18"wheels / 00' TJ 4.0L on 35's with 5" of lift, locked front and back
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-16-2009, 09:39 PM
TimmyB's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,928
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 3942
TimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heater blower motor resistor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
timmy there is also a TSB about this stuff.

let me get it.

its only 07 and 08 i think, but check it out.
http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2400209a.pdf

Great info, thanks Rob. I think they are wrong, and it should include 05's in that bulletin also. Im going to try the reset proceedures they have down.
__________________
I love my Jeep :thumbsup:
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-16-2009, 09:43 PM
TimmyB's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,928
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 3942
TimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heater blower motor resistor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vastier View Post
Your resistor will be more rust than metal which is why it's not working correctly. Moisture gets in there and the resistor isn't exactly weather proof. Very common problem and pretty easy to replace. Hardest part is getting to the screws to take the unit out from under the dash.

You think I could remove the resistor and clean/sand all the rust up if thats the case? It doesnt makes sence how it didnt work last winter then started working perfectly thru summer, but now it doesnt work. It is colder out now, I have had frost on the windows in the morning, so you might be right about the moisture issue. Also my HID's arent working properly now, same as last winter in the cold weather then they worked fine all summer but now its flickering again.

I have the WK service manual on disk and will try and cut and paste the page on how to replace the resistor.
__________________
I love my Jeep :thumbsup:
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-16-2009, 09:45 PM
TimmyB's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,928
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 3942
TimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heater blower motor resistor?

I know if you remove the glove box which is easy to do the resistor harness is visible under there so you can just follow it back to the resistor. Just unclip the arm on the glove box and pull it out towards you, easy.
__________________
I love my Jeep :thumbsup:
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chilliwack, BC
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1799
Vastier is on a distinguished road
Re: Heater blower motor resistor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I know if you remove the glove box which is easy to do the resistor harness is visible under there so you can just follow it back to the resistor. Just unclip the arm on the glove box and pull it out towards you, easy.
When you pull that resistor out, you'll understand why you'll need a new one. Sanding won't cut it dude. The rust is screwing up the resistance and that's what controls the lower 3 fan settings. The Hi setting doesn't go through the resistor. I garauntee that's your problem
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
08' Limited "S" CRD Quadradrive II 18"wheels / 00' TJ 4.0L on 35's with 5" of lift, locked front and back
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chilliwack, BC
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1799
Vastier is on a distinguished road
Re: Heater blower motor resistor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
You think I could remove the resistor and clean/sand all the rust up if thats the case? It doesnt makes sence how it didnt work last winter then started working perfectly thru summer, but now it doesnt work. It is colder out now, I have had frost on the windows in the morning, so you might be right about the moisture issue. Also my HID's arent working properly now, same as last winter in the cold weather then they worked fine all summer but now its flickering again.

I have the WK service manual on disk and will try and cut and paste the page on how to replace the resistor.
As far as your HID's, I'd bet it's a relay that's on it's way out.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
08' Limited "S" CRD Quadradrive II 18"wheels / 00' TJ 4.0L on 35's with 5" of lift, locked front and back
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heater Core hose diameter?? Got5onIt Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 0 08-11-2009 10:27 AM
What grade of gasoline octane do you use & Why? Also state what size motor? White WK Swagga Performance Modifications 49 08-07-2009 08:24 PM
WJ Blower motor connector repair (HVAC related) Puppetmaster_sr Troubleshooting/Problems 0 07-28-2009 11:52 AM
SRT8 Blown Motor. Anybody know who this is? Megatron Grand Cherokee SRT8 - WK 11 07-24-2009 08:42 AM
Engine block heater vs. Battery Blanket? mjl2610 Performance Modifications 28 07-13-2009 08:36 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community