Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Waiting for 2013 JGC 8 Speed Transmission (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/waiting-for-2013-jgc-8-speed-transmission-36500.html)

rockrash 01-31-2012 09:47 AM

Waiting for 2013 JGC 8 Speed Transmission

Will the new 8 speed transmission be available to order in June ? If not does anyone know when it will available?

armoredsaint 01-31-2012 10:13 AM

Re: Waiting for 2013 JGC 8 Speed Transmission

That is the million dollar question - if it's certain I "might" wait. But I am planning to buy in a few weeks.

rockrash 01-31-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armoredsaint (Post 564334)
That is the million dollar question - if it's certain I "might" wait. But I am planning to buy in a few weeks.

Yea I'm on the fence too i would happy to stall till June to order and receive in September that would be OK, but if i have to order in September i will buy now.

Scottina06 01-31-2012 11:39 AM

search for Milous posts......he has some hints here and there. But Milous will break it first as soon as he has confirmation of a date...

But from what Im hearing...it may be mid-2013

rockrash 01-31-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 564395)
search for Milous posts......he has some hints here and there. But Milous will break it first as soon as he has confirmation of a date...

But from what Im hearing...it may be mid-2013

That's along way off. That would be 2014 MY or am i a little confused?

Scottina06 01-31-2012 12:20 PM

nope...we are hearing MY 2013. Its all dependant on production of the unit....the 300 and Chargers with the 8 speed were on backorder not long ago.

rockrash 01-31-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 564432)
nope...we are hearing MY 2013. Its all dependant on production of the unit....the 300 and Chargers with the 8 speed were on backorder not long ago.

Thanks ,looking forward for the official time slot.

Lingohocken 01-31-2012 04:55 PM

Doubtless MY2013, which commences production in late August or so of this year. But the same target applied to the diesel option, and now the word is that this won't be available until Q1 of calendar year 2013.

Best guess is that the WK2 won't get the XF-8 box until Chrysler gets production ramped up over here, and that facility is still being set up. The currently used XF-8 units are being imported from Germany and doubtless are pricier than if they were made over here.

We were a bit hesitant to go with the 5-speed box, but now that we've had it for nearly five months it's been just fine with the V6. Even today I wouldn't be willing to wait 8+ months to get my mitts on a WK2 with the extra gears. There's always something better around the corner, but the new box will be a pretty marginal improvement IMO.

Gearhead 01-31-2012 06:00 PM

I've sort of adjusted to the 5 speed but coming out of an Infiniti FX35 the shift feel is unnatural and I have to be conscious of what I'm doing all the time. As an example I'll make a 90 degree right turn from a stop onto a slight hill and if I don't remember to get on the accelerator I'll find myself in 3rd gear before the turn is complete requiring heavy application of the accelerator eventually leading to the well known reluctant downshift. Everything else about the JGC is great but whoever tuned the transmission was way too interested in getting MPG's and way too uninterested in drivability. If you mostly care about getting where you're going in comfort and are generally unaware of what the drivetrain is doing then don't worry, get the 5 speed.

rockrash 01-31-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingohocken (Post 564567)
Doubtless MY2013, which commences production in late August or so of this year. But the same target applied to the diesel option, and now the word is that this won't be available until Q1 of calendar year 2013.

Best guess is that the WK2 won't get the XF-8 box until Chrysler gets production ramped up over here, and that facility is still being set up. The currently used XF-8 units are being imported from Germany and doubtless are pricier than if they were made over here.

We were a bit hesitant to go with the 5-speed box, but now that we've had it for nearly five months it's been just fine with the V6. Even today I wouldn't be willing to wait 8+ months to get my mitts on a WK2 with the extra gears. There's always something better around the corner, but the new box will be a pretty marginal improvement IMO.

I understand that the improvement on the 8 speed will pretty marginal improvement but if i order now and find out it will be available in June i know i would regret ordering now. Just would like to know the time frame.
The GC is a top quality suv with the 5 speed transmission just do lots of miles and concerned about mpg improvement.

4th Cherokee 01-31-2012 06:51 PM

The 8 speed a nice to have feature, but not a need. Im still impressed by the 3.6 5 speed combo, after 27k miles ;)

CaptRB 01-31-2012 07:35 PM

I drive mostly highway, so I can't see the 8 speed helping much unless top gear is taller than the current tranny. Also: Are we getting the 8 speed for the hemi? That's the only engine I'm going to consider. I test drove the Limited with the smaller engine and while those 8 speeds will help I still think the hemi is the way to go. Most people seem very happy with the 5/6 speed with Hemi and it's a fairly tough tranny. Can the 8 speed match it?

Robert B
NY