Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Join Jeep Garage Today
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 07:35 PM
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2

STIX is just really nice
Cool Re: Illuminated Jeep logo Door Sill Guard w/pics

Ok so I finally got the lighted sills in the WK2...all in all it took me about 1hr 15 min. Pretty easy to do and I think they ended up looking really great.

What's interesting is they are illuminated by a LED that feeds into a fiber-optic array. The FO is what backlights the JEEP logo.

Anyway, below are some pics of the installation and a few pointers in case you decide to take this modification on.....

http://img32.imageshack.us/slideshow...d=img1907t.jpg

Ok some tips...
  • Wiring: The instructions call for you skim the shielding and to solder the wires to the dome leads. There's not a lot of play in the dome light wires, so I opted to cut the dome wires and twist the sill lead strands and then use wire nuts to complete the connection instead. I'm decent at soldering, but it's tight quarters and pretty thin wire so out of time and frustration avoidance I opted to go the other route
  • Trim Removal: Unfortunately I didn't realize this until I got to the passenger side, but it's MUCH EASIER to remove the side trim if you pull away the weatherstipping around the door a bit. Seems like a no brainer now, but I really fought with it. Also, take your time. It's not worth butchering those plastic push pin thingys
  • Sill Install - Give yourself some slack to tuck the wiring in when you are putting the sill in (last step). Reason being is you don't want to bend or crimp the fiber.
Anyway, that's it! Hope you enjoy the pics