Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Join Jeep Garage Today
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 10:18 PM
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2

Aiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: WK2 Front Tow Hook Installation (pic heavy)

Well, I got the tow hooks installed last night. As everyone mentioned, the toughest part of the install is removing the lower fascia off the bumper. I had no idea how this came out but luckily I figured it out. It is actually quite easy if you know how this is attached to the top part of the bumper. I hope the below pictures will provide the necessary info for others who might be scratching their heads on how to separate the lower fascia.

This below picture shows the tab that is inside the top part of the bumper. As you can see, it looks like an half arrow head and it holds from behind the bumper. The trick is to push the head down and it will pop out of the opening in the bumper. The opening is shown in the next picture.

Slot/opening in the bumper into which the half arrow head fits into.

Best way to start separating the two is by starting at the wheel well both sides and work your way to the middle. If you have one of those blunt plastic tool (looks like a plastic knife but blunt), you can insert this into the slot and push the tab down a bit to release it from the slot. I used a flat head screwdriver and there is a chance that you might damage the paint on the bumper.

Below picture shows how the fascia is attached to the bumper. This should give you an idea how to separate the two. Note the angle of the tab so you get an idea how they are attached.

Also, there are several clips/tabs attached to the lower fascia. I removed almost all of them. You do not have to. The below picture shows the ones you do not have to remove.

Well, that's it. If I were to do this again, I can finish this job in one hour. I spent most of the time thinking how to separate the two. I hope these pictures help someone in future.

Cheers,
-Aiyer
2002 Aprilia SL1000R
2000 Porsche Boxster & 1998 ZJ (both sold)
The Following User Says Thank You to Aiyer For This Useful Post: