Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

RHP How to avoid roads

5K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  mm1964 
#1 ·
Thought I would share this.
It took me ages to work out, after a trip to Wiluna that should be 533km MYGIG would take the 1500km long trip via Perth.
The video demenstiaghts a work arround.

Reactions: savvas
#2 ·
Informative demonstration, but thats a pretty poor system. Cant understand why changing options to shortest route had no effect when it was plainly obvious from the graphics you could almost halve the travel. Is the Sat Nav on a Garmin platform? Look like its in need of a thorough software upgrade!!! Imagine how the kms are gonna build up quickly for those that are geographically challenged!

#3 ·
Often there's no substitute for the old street directory.

My daughter's boyfriend bought a new Aurion Sportivo about 3 or 4 years ago. He was in the city one day, and was headed to the airport. So he inputs destination into the Toyota sat nav, and it was adamant about sending him north over the harbour bridge. Which is the opposite direction to where the airport is.

#4 ·
Thanks DH that will help, as I posted earlier I had a similar issue whilst traveling from Burra (SA) to Broken Hill what should have been a 400km trip, the Nav wanted to take me back to Adelaide through to Mildura then upto Broken Hill 950km trip.
I did ring my dealer in Melbourne and will take it in on Monday when we get back.
I'll post later with the results.

Cheers

#5 ·
The navigation software and maps would have to be the most disappointing thing in the JGC.

It borders on being virtually unusable at times. I had a discussion with the service rep just recently and he says that there are currently no updates and essentially it is what it is.

This is simply not good enough as in my mind the system does not work as intended, therfore Chrysler Jeep Australia should be held accountable.

I will be pushing this one further.

#6 ·
Glen I agree.
It wont do a simple thing like kalg to wiluna on a sealed road, it has been sealed for 20 years now.
But it will choose a dirt rd out here over a sealed rd.

#8 ·
My colleague mentioned his unit "learnt" over time by ignoring the navigator and picking the most obvious route. Not sure if this is the case on our units?

#10 ·
Surprising how quick one "learns" using that method!:lol::lol:

#14 ·
Travelled from Broken Hill to swan Hill google maps said 511km gps 570km it refused to except going the shortest and fastest way, even put a way point in closer to Swan Hill thinking that that would sort it out, but once we got to the way point (with 120km to go) it wanted to send me back the way we just came adding another 350km.
This system is screwed, Chrysler need to get this sorted out for us all.

#15 ·
The only way we will have any chance of getting it sorted is for all of us to write directly to Chrysler Jeep Australia and complain repeatedly.

The navigation system is indeed screwed and they should fix it.

#17 ·
I have just had my REP unit replaced because of this issue and a couple of other problems. They have now fitted a RHP unit and initially I thought it was better but this morning it proved me wrong coming back from Yarra Glen it refused to drive through Lilydale it wanted to send me up through Canterbury Rd then back down to Maroondah Hwy via other roads. Back to complaining on Monday.

#20 ·
Just out of curiosity, how are the maps loaded onto the system?
HD, DVD or SD card etc?

I have a mate who supplies nav systems as OEM for some manufacturers and I may be able to speak to him if you can change the mapping software by replacing the SD card, DVD etc.

#21 ·
Took my GC into the dealer this morning. Guess what they said that their was no fault with the Nav system, I have the latest data base and they checked the software was also up to date, I explained that I am not the only one that is having the same issues, I mentioned to them about DH story, I also took my iPad to show them.
The technician said that he will ring the supplier/agent to see if they have any software update in the system that chrysler don't know of yet

#22 ·
State rep got a reply from Chrysler support

Sent: Friday, 4 May 2012 3:48 PM
To: Philip Crump
Subject: Re: MYGIG needs updating

Get dealer to put tech case in, its probably just the aerial that needs replacing. We have had issues with aerials being located incorrectly and area not picking up enough satelites.

Cheers CR.

Have to laugh, fix a noticeable software/mapping error with moving the aerials

#23 ·
State rep got a reply from Chrysler support

Sent: Friday, 4 May 2012 3:48 PM
To: Philip Crump
Subject: Re: MYGIG needs updating

Get dealer to put tech case in, its probably just the aerial that needs replacing. We have had issues with aerials being located incorrectly and area not picking up enough satelites.

Cheers CR.

Have to laugh, fix a noticeable software/mapping error with moving the aerials
What a load of crap!
The problem is, I think that Chrysler actually believe the crap they write.
If it were the antenna, the gps would go into dead reckoning mode and still try to map the route applicable to the mode set as default.
It still has an originating location, set by itself, as well as a destination, input by the driver.
If for some reason the GPS lost it's signal, such as in a tunnel, it would maintain the route in the system, not reroute 100's of klms out of the way.

Note to Chrysler Aust: Learn GPS for Idiots Basics Course 101.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.