Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Latest Mod (in progress) 2008 WK 4.7

10K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  Strongjeff 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just picked up my latest mod. Any guesses before I pull back the curtain?

There are three pieces in total.

Blue Inflatable Mat Pipe Textile

Blue Inflatable Majorelle blue Pipe Games

Gas Cylinder

See less See more
#5 ·
Not quite. didnt spend that kind of cash.

Actually, its the Mopar body kit for the 08+. I have only seen 1 (maybe 2) around here on an 08+.

Here are more pics. I am doing the lower mesh to match the custom upper prior to installation. I will document the project.

Following this thread for guidance:
http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=2679&highlight=lower+grille

Here are more pics for now. I really need the 22" factory reps to come out already to pull together the look.

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part Water transportation

Notice the three lines. This, besides the smooth finish is the only real difference on the front piece vs stock. At first I wasnt too excited about the lines, but now I appreciate the unique look.
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Bumper part Automotive lighting

Automotive exterior Bumper Bumper part Auto part Vehicle

#7 ·
Went the convenient way. Of course not cheapest. Local dealer ordered it. He beat the pricing of Just for Jeeps by atleast 10% on everything and I have no shipping costs. Had him paint it too. It was about $900 all said and done. they dont make my color in the painted version, just primed.

Here is a project update. Taking a break to post.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Grille

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

#9 ·
I dont think they sell just the front lip. I ordered it as the complete body kit. I will probably be selling the old front lip. Unless you are looking for those three lines near the fogs, the lower valance can be refinished to look the same.

Here is the part number for body kit: 82211093AB

Part numeber for the chrome Overland lower bumper strip: 68033817AA

#12 ·
So here is a little status update. The project will continue this weekend.

Mock up a cardboard template for the lower mesh grille.
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Grille

Using paint cans for weight to keep the mesh from rolling up. It came in a roll from shipping and wants to stay that way
Material property Tin can Paint Solvent Aluminum can

Cut out the template after marking it with a sharpie. Cut tabs (just like the reference thread link above) to attach the mesh to the lower bumper.
Pattern Textile Lace Linens Needlework

Here is my homemade break. Just sandwiched the mesh between the two edges so that I can bend a 90 degree in the tabs. Just pressed each tab down flush against the edge of the work bench.
Product Material property Roof Plastic Paint

Attaching the mesh with SS fasteners and fender washers. Once the lower bumper is reassembled it will add rigidity to the mesh grille. Also the chrome Overland strip will give it a clean edge at the start of the mesh.
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Trunk

Another view. I assembled the mesh first, then unassembled for painting. This way there is less chance to scratch the finish on the freshly painted mesh. Black Rustoleum gloss along with gloss clear coat, just like the custom upper grille.
Light Line Sky Architecture Mesh

I hope to have the entire bodykit finished and on this weekend. Just need to finish painting the mesh and put it back together with the bodykit front lower grille.

I will also need to remove the stock side skirts and install the new ones. Already have the plastic rivets thanks to the sticky regarding these (http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=4110). Ordered the Mopar rivet gun today from J4J. (yes I used the 5% promo code, thanks!). Also recruited the help of my brother on this mission, so all bases should be covered.

I will get new pics up this weekend.

#17 ·
I am not sure from memory. I will give you a side by side comparison pic. I can also take a quick measurement of each. Unfortunately it will have to wait until the weekend because I am out of town on business.

#16 ·
That will look cool.

#18 ·
Update on the project. Got the Side Skirts installed today. Still not done with the Front piece due to painting mesh. Should be done soon.

Here is a comparison of the new front compared to the old. I took some measurements too:

Side by side comparison
Automotive exterior Bumper Grille Vehicle Auto part

Some difference in the end piece. As stated above, the body kit has a more agressive edge
Footwear Auto part Fender Shoe

Here you can see the difference in depth. This shows how far the body kit extends back under the jeep compared to the stock front lip
Automotive exterior Vehicle door Bumper Windshield Automotive window part

This is the body kit measured for the part extending back under the jeep.
Automotive exterior Glass Automotive window part Rim Wheel

Stock piece measured like the above pic.
Yellow Ruler Tape measure Measuring instrument Metal

Looking down at the stock piece to get a perspective of how low the lip goes.
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Bumper part Vehicle

Same view, but looking down at the body kit.
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Sports equipment

#19 ·
More...

Approx measurement of how low the body kit is
Yellow Automotive exterior Auto part Tire Rim

Same measurement for stock
Yellow Bumper Tire Rim Automotive tire

Installed Side skirt pics. I know, the Jeep is filthy. It is about 25 degrees out right now. Cant wait for warm weather for a full detailing.
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire

Especially dirty. I am embarassed.
Automotive exterior Bumper Grille Car Vehicle

Tire Car Automotive tire Alloy wheel Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Alloy wheel Car Tire

I dont think I had a pic up yet with the Magnaflow exhaust installed.
Tire Car Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper

#20 ·
Body kit is done and installed.

Always a good feeling cutting into brand new parts. Had to cut out holes in the body kit to accept the tabs in the chrome overland trim piece.
Handheld power drill Impact wrench Tool Impact driver Rotary tool

Here are the cut holes
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Lower mesh painted and installed
Automotive exterior Bumper Grille Auto part Trunk

Pic of mounting the mesh
Iron Metal Grille Mesh

The rest of the pics are the final product. Still needs detailed.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Jeep

Let me know what you guys think.

#21 ·
where did you get the mesh from?

#22 ·
The mesh is from McNichols. It is aluminum with 2 squares per inch. I paid $58 shipped for a 3ftx4ft piece. I can send the item number a little later.

#23 ·
WOW!!! this looks awesome... i have an 06 in black and i am planning on eventually doing an 08 front bumper conversion and get the mopar kit. then the srt8 rear bumper and rims. i am glad i have finally seen this kit in black and it looks as amazing as i thought!!! very nice. where did you get the kit from? what was total cost for the kit and paint?

#28 ·
I picked the kit up fromt he dealer. It was $600 for the kit and just over $300 for paint (with taxes).

After I wash it this weekend I will get some high res photos up. THanks for the compliments!

#24 ·
The jeep looks awsome! I have the same model and was thinking about switching to the srt8 front but ager seeing yours i think i might follow in your steps. Did the bumper include the chrome strip? The side rails look just like the srt8 ones as well. Awsome mod, and thanks for your help with the mesh as well.

#29 ·
It did not include the chrome strip. that set me back another $90. You could skip the chrome, especially if you did not do the lower mesh. I have even see someone do the lower custom mesh without the chrome piece. From what I hear, the side skirts are the same. You will need a plastic rivet gun for the side skirts. I got mine form J4J.

#30 ·
much better! Now its time for some 20's.....LOL

Yeah right!! I am dying for the 22" reps, but I am getting inpatient. I may just go for the 20"s since it is just about cruising weather. I already have the SRT Bilsteins, and SRT sways (both yet to be installed) and am just making the final decision on the springs. I am leaning toward the eibachs.

#34 ·
Idk how I missed this thread this exactly wat I have been woundering if the mopar body kit was longer then the stock valance..so perrty much the edge is more agressive and the three lines is wat changes...I have one question does the sides rocker skirts sit lower then the front valance?? Or are they evend out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.