Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Wk Hitch with srt8 bumper

23K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  B.P.O.D 
#1 ·
My question is this: I've seen 2 people with hitches on their jeeps with Srt rear bumpers, does anyone know of a way to use the already existing hitch on my 5.7 limited with an srt bumper either by modifying the bumper, or modifying the hitch.

Here are pictures of an srt8 with a custom hitch: http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1707 the third page has pictures with the ball in the receiver.
I don't really want to make a custom hitch but i would be more than happy with this method as long as i can use my existing hitch.

The other pictures i've seen are an srt8 with the hitch in place of the exhaust, and the exhaust on each side of the opening. I can't find the pictures of this though.

I am willing to do either method, as long as i can do something with my existing hitch.

If you have any links to someone that has done this or can offer any advice that would be great.

#3 ·
yeah it looks dumb with the ball in, but exactly it doesnt really matter, i just wouldnt leave it in like i do sometimes. And yes, the cover could use a little work, but it doesnt look too bad, im still looking for the other picture with the exhaust on the outside, it is also on the red site.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

here is another hitch i found, not sure but if you dont have a receiver on your jeep there is still a place to mount this? does this look like it would fit in the opening of an srt bumper? The end of the video has a good picture on a jeep with no opening
http://www.hidden-hitch.com/tv-Hitch-Install-2007-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee.aspx

#5 ·
It looks like the receiver on our WK's is higher than the cutout for the exhaust tips in the SRT bumper

http://www.automobilesreview.com/gallery/jeep-grand-cherokee/jeep-grand-cherokee-06.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/jeep_grand_cherokee_srt_8_2009_exterior_rearview.jpg

The perspective is a little difficult to see, but flip back and forth a couple times and you'll see what I'm talking about.

When I was looking for a Jeep, I was looking for an SRT8...I wanted the style most, and the performance 2nd. However, the functionality of a tow hitch was too important to me, so I compromised and got the 5.7 Hemi. I figured the performance was good enough (if I wanted something super fast I'd have just kept my Maxima). Plus with the $15k+ I saved getting the 5.7, I could add the styling I liked from the SRT.

That said, I eventually intend to get the SRT bumper covers and rockers and will be rigging up a way to keep my stock hitch. I'll document this process meticulously when I get to it, but my plan is to modify the bumper to include a cutout (either permanently if I can get it to look ok, or have a piece that can snap back in and cover the hitch). See attached image for layout idea. No, I won't paint my hitch red - black didn't show up against the shadowed undercarriage.

Obviously, you wont be able to run the stock SRT exhaust with the hitch (I plan on keeping a spare tire as well), but you should be able to do some custom exhaust routing and at least use the same tips. Thanks in advance for the compliments on my sweet photoshop (MS Paint) skillz :D.

Attachments

#8 ·
Irf did you put yours on yourself?

#10 ·
those 2 bottom pictures is basically my plan, but what kind of hitch is that.... ive seen a reciever for a wk that does not have the cut out for the hitch, so if the bottom bumper of a wk is the same distance as the cut out for the srt i wont have any problems

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

scooter2131....there are a lot of setups on the red site that look just like what your plan is, search on there, they mostly use a custom set up, if wanted to go this route i would do the same thing..

#12 ·
i ordered R&D 5 inch tips, they should be in today... they finished them up last tuesday i think so if anyone is interested, i dont know how many they had in stock

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

that is the setup im looking at buying, i am wondering if the bottom of the wk bumper is about the same distance as the cut out for the srt..i think it would work do you think you could get me a measurement on how long that piece is?

#14 ·
maybe from the ground to the top of the reciever, and maybe from the bolts where the receiver mounts to the top of the actual square, or maybe from the bottom of the chrome strip to the top of the receiver, just trying to think of something that wont change even with the srt bumper, it think the opening is about 4 inches lower than the wk bumper opening, so if this receiver is 4 inches or more lower than the stock hitch it will work.

#16 ·
the SRT bumper is a lot lower than the WK bumper with hitch cutout....so i highly doubt a WK hitch will work with an SRT rear bumper

#25 ·
Hello I used a hitch with the srt bumper works great. The stock one will not fit. I got a new one to fit here is the picture. I hope this helps

ChrisWK

Attachments

#27 ·
Yes it is I could not remember the name.

#30 ·
Hey Escape, I got it at the place BPOD and price it is a class 3. It does not stick out much at all. I can some pics this weekend.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.