Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

How to-2008 OEM Jeep Grand Cherokee HID headlights on an 05-07

108K views 144 replies 30 participants last post by  Madanio24 
#1 · (Edited)
Just finished what I should have done in the first place. I used the 08 stock D1S bulbs and ballasts in my 08 headlight assembly retrofit. Believe it or not...if you buy the 08 assemblies and they come with the bulbs...all you need to make them work in a 05-07 WK....is a HID relay harness!(you can get them for $19.95 fron dxhid.com) I also used liquid tape(awesome stuff), electrical tape, heat shrink sleeves and plastic ties.

I have many pics below...so if you have any questions...please include the pic #. But...this is very, very easy.....and if I can do it...anyone can.

#1-this is the back of the 08 drivers lamp. The power and ground for the ballast is circled in red with the arrow pointing...

#2-tools and supplies needed

#3-d1s bulb plugged in

#4-d1s bulb installed-

#5-on the passenger side lamp...there are 8-10 wires going into the lamp. Just pull the rubber stopper out and trace the wires going to the ballast. On my lamp...they happened to be black(ground) and dark grey(power). the drivers side just has two wires going into the rubber stopper...they are also grey and black.

#6-In these pics....I stripped the wires and connected the relay harness to the lamp. On my harness I had to cut the plug off that went to the HID bulb(9006 kit) and then I wired the green to the power and the black to the ground...which then I connected to the fender grounding location. I used the liquid tape on the open wires and then the heat shrink tape on top of that. I then plugged the relay harness into the 9006 plug from the truck harness and routed the relay harness to the positive on the battery. the drivers side is the same procedure.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: 2008 OEM Jeep Grand Cherokee HID headlights on an 05-07

Isn't there a gap though when installed on the older wk's?

#4 ·

yes there is.....BUT I made some custom "humps" as I like to call them and had them painted to match. I am now in the process of adding the 08-09 SRT bumper. But others i have helped with this have painted the bottom of the lamp to match and used vinyl to over the gap. The stillen covers are also a way to cover thje gap.

#5 ·

Looks good Scott. The finished product will look sick!!! Are you going to leave the chrome molding trim on your truck or have it painted? I know a lot of guys have or want them painted but I like the OEM chrome accents trim.

#6 ·

I havent decided yet...that little piece of chrome is like $150....and I couldnt get my old one off....LOL

#10 ·

how do you like the liquid electric tape??? i was thinking about it but just couldnt get my self to get it!
so easy to use and dries fast-----:thumbsup:

#8 ·

Yeah I like the chrome trim in the front. Sux you can't get it off tho... I want to get the overland trim in the front for my truck.

#9 ·

yeah...I ended up ordering anew chrome piece and i think I'll leave it chrome so the whole front of the Jeep isnt red

#14 ·

Are the ballasts in the headlight assembly itself?
yes...they are part of the assemblies

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

damit scott........don't you ever work??? lol. everytime I see you post up you are always making something for your ride.......pass some money this way, lol
These lights have been on my Jeep over a year bro....I just bumped the thread for tman and new members

#13 ·

damit scott........don't you ever work??? lol. everytime I see you post up you are always making something for your ride.......pass some money this way, lol

#16 ·

it has its own wiring harness just like the 05-07 oem lights

#18 ·

the 08 HID harness is completely different from all other WK headlight harnesses. Its also part of the complete harness for the truck...so you cant just buy the headlight harness and add it

#20 ·

I think its pretty easy...there is one bolt closest to the grill thats ai pita...but other than that....its easy.

#23 ·

Does the low beam plug that plugs into the halogen low beam bulb just plug right into this HID assembly? No re-wiring/slicing needed?

no.....the 05-07 harness doesnt match up with the 08-09 HID lamps harness at all.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Damn Scott I want to do this too!!! Do you know what is different for the 08's than your work on the 05-07? Or is the wiring similar?

I want to buy these headlights...you got yours off eBay right?

the 08-09 WK with the OEM HID's has a completely different harness from any other WK. You can use my how to by wiring an HID 9006 relay harness to the 08-09 HID light ballast power wire and ground. It is super easy. You then reuse your turn, high lamp and marker light from your truck.

#22 ·

Damn Scott I want to do this too!!! Do you know what is different for the 08's than your work on the 05-07? Or is the wiring similar?

I want to buy these headlights...you got yours off eBay right?

#25 ·
heres the straight on pic when I first did the mod---

heres the difference in the lamps-shows the gap too

stock D1S lamps compared to my wifes Lexus D4s 6000K's from Xenondepot

stock d1s bulbs--

custom made "humps" to fill the gap--

Now...with 08-09 bumper and grille

#26 ·
Thanks for all this.

If I understand this correctly the 05-07 Stillen covers does not work with the 08+ lights but is there a commercial alternative to cover the gaps ?

I know that flashtech does not make LED halo for the 08+ but does any other company do ?

#27 ·
there is no commercial alternative. I made some using a spare 08 bumper.....cut the humps off and fashioned them using bondo etc. I then had them painted to match and used 3M tape to attach them. But you could also use any kind of bumper material. maybe stop by a body shop and ask them if you can cut some pieces from a damaged bumper?

I believe AAC makes halos for the 08-10 WK.

#28 ·
So you had a spare 08 bumper laying around :lol:

I was thinking more of a cover a la 05-07 rather than a filler limited to the gap.

I also checked the AAC site and the 08+ not listed but I will shoot out a message anyway. Flashtech is ready to make em providing there is an order for at least 5 and someone can send them a pair of headlights to work on.

#29 ·
you may ab able to stretch the 05-07 Stillens to cover.

Yeah.....I bought a spare 08 bumper off ebay for $75 and cut the humps off...lol

#30 ·
very good job

please tell me if you can still use the manual leveling after replacing the old headlights with the new one ( with the magnifying glass ) .

did you try installing auto-leveling system or headlight washers ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.