Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

10,000km Service CRD

32K views 190 replies 30 participants last post by  allypally 
#1 ·
Got my CRD serviced last week, what a difference!

Apart from the service, I booked in some warranty issues (steering thud, Starting issue, some rattles (but still have some niggling cabin rattles)).

Prior to the service the engine and transmission were incredibly sluggish. They did the computer updates and now she's very responsive, same as the day I first drove it!

The moral of this story is given the time from factory floor Detroit to delivery time, your Jeep may have a few updates waiting to be downloaded. I would take up the 1000km service freebie for no other reason than to get the updates.

On another matter, when they did the 10k service they changed the oil but not the filter as they had none in stock. They'll call me when it arrives to install.

My question is, how kosher is it to run the old filter with new oil? I have always changed both at the same time and have not come across this problem previously. My thinking is the oil will be contaminated.

#2 ·
That is very poor form of the dealer to do that to you.
I would insist on new oil and filter. Check the colour of the oil when you take it back and make sure it is clear when you pick it up. Oil will go everywhere when the filter is changed, so they will need to top it up. To even do the oil change without a filter just show the level of competence of the dealer.
As for the change after the service, I knew I was not imagining it when I picked up mine, but many here did not believe me either. The car feels more responsive.

#3 ·
Yeah it's left a sour taste. I made it clear I wasn't happy and the new oil would be contaminated. He said not so, as the filter is there to pick up particles it makes no difference with new oil. Clearly it does and oil and filters go hand in hand.

It's a company car so I just get the dealers to do this hoping all would be fine.

I had to wait for steering shaft and other bits to arrive, one would think a filter would be top of the list to order!

No definitely no imagination, there is a marked difference after the service / updates. People should take up the 1000km freebie just in case.

#5 ·
Dont worry,

there is always "used oil" left in the engine. The Filter eliminates particles, the only serious issue is wen a filter gets blocked. Then the oil passes unfiltered through an bypass valve.
However, this Event Ive never seen yet. In europe the intervalls for oil and filters vary betwenn 20 an 30k Kilometers, a "break in" oil chang after 1000 km or miles as common in the us is completely unknown.

good luck

Achim

#6 ·
Even though the filter is located near the top of these engines, it is still importanat that the filter be removed while the oil is draining to ensure all old oil is drained, icluding from the filter. Otherwise old oil will be locked in the oil filter.

I would insist on changing oil and filter when they get the filter in.

#7 ·
I just don't understand how something as basic as a filter was on back order even when other parts like a steering shaft where ordered. Makes no sense.

It's bugging me more each day. Common sense dictates not to mention the service manual that the filter is changed AT oil change and not after.

Yep, I think I'll insist on the oil change when the filter finally arrives, seems ludicrous here we are 9 days later and no call to say the filter has arrived!

#9 ·
Notice you are in Brisbane. Did you use Salters as a matter of interest. I recall an earlier post where you said you might give them a go?

#8 ·
I booked my car in three weeks ago for its 10'000 service, left it with them for four days while I flew to Queensland only to return and they didn't do the service. They said they had no oil filter and they wouldn't change the oil with out it. So once again I drove 700 klms for nothing to happen with my car. Over 5000 klms done in my car is driving to them to fix problems or stuff they forgot to put on when purchased. Love Darwin Jeep!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lblj5s

#11 ·
I booked my car in three weeks ago for its 10'000 service, left it with them for four days while I flew to Queensland only to return and they didn't do the service. They said they had no oil filter and they wouldn't change the oil with out it. So once again I drove 700 klms for nothing to happen with my car. Over 5000 klms done in my car is driving to them to fix problems or stuff they forgot to put on when purchased. Love Darwin Jeep!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lblj5s
That Sucks!

#10 ·
Yep, it was Salters.

They are a long established dealership here and the new Jeep "kids on the block" so I thought I'd give them a go.

Overall I think they're fine BUT.........if a car was booked in for a service that required specific (yet basic) part (an oil filter), and that part (an oil filter) was not in stock, one would think someone would have to call the owner of that car and postpone the service rather than perform a half-assed job.

Really, a year ago I was brand new to Jeep. I have been on this forum for close to a full year and the underlying message I get is the management of Jeep Australia is run like a kindergarten but by the kids themselves!

It's clear Jeep Australia have absolutely no quality control over their dealerships, how else could a service dept perform a service without an oil filter? Mine is but 1 example, read the forums and you won't need to look hard to find others.

For such a great product to rely on very / extremely poor follow through from Jeep Australia is a great shame and will do more harm for the emerging Jeep brand than they think. People read these forums and then think, mmmm maybe I'll stick with Toyota etc until Jeep Australia gets its act together.

NOT HAPPY JEEP AUSTRALIA!

#18 ·
Yep, it was Salters.

They are a long established dealership here and the new Jeep "kids on the block" so I thought I'd give them a go.
Hi AussieWK2,
How much were you charged for the 10k service? I was quoted $480 for 10k and $680 for 20k today. I always thought both services would come in high $300's? Cheers.

#12 ·
Go to their facebook page and speak loudly.
If Chrysler Aust want to run their parts division on a tightass budget, then everyone needs to be told about it.
It really is not the dealer's fault that parts are not available. It is Chrysler Aust's fault. They are too tight to order a pallet by airfreight, so are quite happy to save a dollar or two to wait for s ship.
I think I would prefer the delaer t have changedthe oil without a new filter, rather than let the old oil remain for a further few weeks. Just make sure they do another oli change when they do the filter, not just a topup.
I will start a chat on their Facebook page later today.

#13 ·
Guys the modern oil is more than suitable for over 20k km, it is just the car makers that choose the service intervals. If you are running your service changes on the recommended 10k km, then running the car out to 11k km will not hurt your motor.
It is very pathetic that there seems to be a lack of CRD filters, this is just plain poor supply management, I guess it just adds to the long list of overall poor management by CJD in Australia.

#15 ·
Had our 10k service yesterday - and after reading about the possible shortage of oil filters for the CRD went to the parts dept specifically to ask.
"Yep - we've got plenty - they've just come in"
Has there been an issue with supply?
"Yep, we had to send back all our stock and got other stock in".
The guy had no idea why they were replaced.
Price quoted was $56/ea rrp

Seems like something has gone on.

I supplied my own Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w-30 for the service with no issues. $136 for 10l from Repco.

#17 ·
Nope - drove the same as far as I can tell - but no complaints from me as to how it drove before - has plenty of zip.
2 updates were done - 024-12 - no clue what that was and the service rep couldn't tell me.....
and 026-12 which is the radio flash update for the flat battery issue (noted as 025-12 on the WK2 jeeps site). When i read the TSB description the radio software is supposed to be 10.00.11 after the update - well it was 10.00.10 before and still is....Think the tech messed this one up.
John

#19 · (Edited)
The only difference bewtween the 20k and 10k services is an air filter change and to Lubricate Steering Knuckle and Ball Joints. On the Petrol service schedule it says nothing about lubrication of steering knuckle and ball joints - ever. Must be only the diesels that have them?? I don't think so.

I am guessing that the balljoints would be sealed for life, but would need to check.

#21 ·
Not all roads are gravel but it is fair assumption Australian Jeep owners will occasionaly travel long distances on very dusty roads. The reality is that most city based Jeeps will be on bitumen 99% of the time.

#24 ·
I had my 10k service done yesterday - $425. Yes, a bit expensive compared to a non dealer but not too bad either. I think an extra $100 dollars or so to have a full dealer service book will be worth it in a few years time when my lease is up and I sell.

Two 3 year old GC's, same milage of around 70k's- one with a dealer stamped service book and one without - which one would you buy and would you pay a bit more?

#25 ·
To be quite truthful, I would buy the car which had a logbook which had detailed work done, rather than one which simply had a dealer stamp.
Have you ever waited and watched your car while it was being serviced at a dealership?

#28 ·
To be quite truthful, I would buy the car which had a logbook which had detailed work done, rather than one which simply had a dealer stamp.
I totally agree - I'm sure my Jeep was serviced by the 1st year apprentice, but my Jeep will just go off to whoever does the best deal when the lease is up. And I think a dealer stamped book, for better or worse, will be an advantage. Everyone is different so it is very hard to generalise what is best.

My Jeep is my work vehicle and family hack and gets turned over every few years - my own "personal" cars go to a small local mechanic and yes - I do stand in his workshop and shoot the breeze while they are being serviced.

#29 ·
I think that most people will read an ad which says "regular log book servicing" and give the car a mental tick. A few more diligent people will actually look at your log book and see that it was done regularly, and then a very small amount of them will say, "O, good it was done at the dealer". So probably not a huge value in my opinion, but I'm no expert.

#32 ·
Agree with the last two comments. Webuyanycar valued my last car at $40k online which was close to top Redbook value . I took it down to do the deal where they reneged and offered me $29k due to the market being slack and that was the best wholesale price they could do. It had full dealer service, warranty, new condition, the works. If you are ever considering using them, I for one (and the six disappointed people who were in the WBAC office with me being spun along by other sharks....I mean "salesman") advise you give them a wide birth unless its a choice of selling the car or a kidney to pay the bills. Dealer service history (or reputable mechanic who gives a printout of works completed) is only worthwhile if selling private as mentioned above.

#33 ·
I don't trade-in cars unless I'm desperate. The dealers don't want them. They offer trades simply as a service to the customer. It's a hassle for them so why would they give anyone a good price? If you are negotiating a new car price, never mention a trade-in or you will have just shot yourself in the foot.

#34 ·
Couldn't agree more.:thumbsup:

#35 ·
I got more for my Turbo Terri thank I would have privately and only paid RRP for the Jeep.
It all depends on the car and the dealer. You just cannot expect Retail pricing, but if they can sell it 2nd hand on their lot, they will generally give you more than wholesale.

#36 · (Edited)
Back on topic. According to http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_maintenance.htm there are two "official" service intervals, "A" Light and "B" Heavy. It seems every one else is using "A" but Chrysler Australia in their infinite wisdom has deemed we should use "B". Not only that, schedule "B" requires oil changes every 13,000km but Chrysler Aust. wants us to change every 10,000km. Perhaps they truly care for the longevity of our vehicles but it is us the customers that have to pay for their heart felt concern with the threat of loosing our warranties if we don't. I would like to know their justification.

#37 ·
As per the other topic on this in the forum, I would say that Jeep in the US have either had a number of complaints or have found out that Jeep Aust are forcing 10k/6 Months services for warranty and have told them to change it for the CRD's.

We will see in the coming months if this is true...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.