Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

NEED Part # 68004143AF ASAP

16K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  06RC22 
#1 ·
ok so my jeep has been shifting a little sluggishly recently. I took it into the stealership and had them look at it since they did a tranny flush recently. They told me this is the problem and gave me this part number. I dont want to spend over $900 for parts/labor so i was wondering if anybody knew of a good place to get the part for cheaper. I am really looking to catch a break so if anybody knows of something please let me know.

Thanks,

#3 ·
The bezel for your shifter? Seems very strange, but you can find it cheaper at moparpartsamerica.com for 477.

One thing you might check, since you mentioned you had your transmission serviced, is that the oil level is CORRECT.

It's hard to test in the shop since the dip stick spout is also where they add oil. So, I'd bet that your oil level isn't exactly correct. Not sure if this will help the sluggish shifting, but I noticed that once I got the oil level right on my transmission, it seemed to shift better.

#6 ·
best Ican tell, these shifters work where something glides across a circuit board as you move the shifter. there is lots of build up on the board and the contacts. I have seen posts where guys have opened the shifter and cleaned off this contacts area and solved their own problem,

Here is some data from the red site:
Why Shifter Lever Assy breaks on Jeeps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After several short term "limp modes' followed by famous 'circled" PRND on EVIC decided to check SLA module, also known as electronic shifter module (ESM), inside. Several people here claimed that after replacement of SLA module they got rid of the problem.

I started with some homework and found German (Mercedes) white papers about 722.6 gearbox. Documents stated that inside the module there are 12 Hall sensors to detect lever position. Hall sensors are known as pretty reliable ones cause they are contact-less sensors. Interestingly, I didn't found any claims on SLA module on several Benz sites.
However when I disassembled SLA module, I found that Chrysler put cheep mechanical contact system inside instead of just a bit more expensive but far more reliable Hall sensor system.
My guess is that it might be a main reason of SLA module failures. Most of them are reported at 30K-40K mileage, right after starting the car in cold mornings. Morning condensation along with a sufficient amount of conductive material accumulated between lamelles may cause position misreading.

The good thing is that it's possible to clean them using contact cleaner, which I did. By the way Chrysler says that it's non serviceable unit and wants more than 300 bucks for part only.

Here is his process to get to these contacts:

OK
First check this tutorial - how to remove shiny bezels and shifter knob
http://www.wkjeeps.com/interior_trim.htm#SHIFTTRIM
http://www.wkjeeps.com/interior/wk_s..._remove_01.jpg

1. remove chrome bezel
2. remove aluminum bezel and knob
3. remove rubber insert from the storage pocket
4. remove 4 Torx10 screws
BEFORE

5. Put shifter in N or D, detach wiring harness and remove shifter assy itself sliding it by shifter rod upwards, as I remember it's fixed by 4 screws or clips. Don't remember exactly, but it's straightforward.
AFTER

6. Then continue at home, using anti-static precautions.
7. Remove soft plastic dust-shield (be careful, it's lubricated)
TOP SIDE OF ASSY

8. Remove 2 small screws and detach printed card board (PCB) from it's plastic chassis.
BOTTOM SIDE OF ASSY

Don't lose or break transparent acrylic lightguide (for illuminating PRND) at top plastic piece.

link to hi-res pics, sorry some of them are blurry (phone pictures)
http://picasaweb.google.com/a137bc/S...87119203265090

#10 ·
well, I am still not convinced that this is my problems. I have never had a check engine light go on or the PRND be circled while driving. I talked to the "service manager" (idiot) and she was really talking in circles. I asked her if this part was faulty would I be able to use the autostick to shift while driving? she told me that would really be the only way I could drive the vehicle right now. Bullshit. I asked if the tech who test drove the vehicle needed to do this... she said no. Haha, Exactly!!!! So how would this be the problem if I've never had a CEL thrown or any other problems? The only issue that made me bring it in was when coming to a coasting stop and then excellerating right before im stopped (cali stop) it would hesitate to shift into gear. To me it seemed like low tranny fluid but they insist that it is full. I had 0 problems before having the tranny flushed but after it feels sluggish. I just dont trust the stealership and i really am going to get a second opinion.

#11 ·
You have some due dilligence on your part to check the level of fluid personally. Get the transmission warmed up (drive it for 15-20 minutes). Get it on level ground, leave the car running and put it in neutral. SET THE EMERGENCY BRAKE AND pop the hood and pull the dipstick and wipe it clean. Put the dipstick back down and pull and check the level. Use the headlight for light and verify it's between hot and cold. At least the cold hole should have enough oil over it to cover it. See if you can get a good reading. If not, wipe and repeat.

Let me tell you from personal experience. I had my transmission serviced and it was 4 quarts low when I left the dealer. Long story (thread on here somewhere), but you NEED to check and verify it yourself. You should also verify they used correct oil. Long story short, don't trust the dealership. Techs get paid by the job and not by the hour, and its in their best interest to burn and turn. It's in your best interest to verify and complain when it's not right.

#12 ·
Trust me I would do this if I could. I dont have a dip stick for the tranny. It is just capped off where the dipstick should be. I tried purchasing one and ive been told by multiple places that they dont even make them. I really feel like its just low fluid and might have another dealership check it for me. I guess its Jeep's way of making owners come to the dealership for something.

From what i see though some jeeps have them and then some dont. I wonder why mine doesnt have one?

#14 ·
I think it's special tool "Oil Dipstick 9336" - this is for the NAG1 transmission. Available online at a variety of places for ~50 dollars.

Weird that they don't come with a dipstick! WTF!

#16 ·
#18 ·
Good catch. I'd assume that to be true, but my assumptions always let me down :(

I pulled that tool number from the 2007 WK service manual. I'm not familiar enough with the years/versions of the WK to answer that question. I know someone here is tho. :)

Question for you: Can you describe the sluggish shifting? Is it when you go from R to D? or is it when the transmission shifts from 1-2-3-4 etc?

#19 ·
It happens only after I first start driving... after its warm, it seems to never happen. When i am coasting from second gear to a stop... almost stop (rolling stop) and then hit the gas to accelerate again it seems to hesitate. the RPM's will go up to around 2000 and then it will kick into gear. Its not a clunk or anything it just seems sluggish. I never have any hard shifts or serious clunking and it shift great from P to R to N to D and then it shifts fine from 1-2-3-4.

i hope that makes sense.

#20 ·
Ya, I bet you're just a little low on transmission fluid. It doesn't sound like the electrical contacts in the bezel would cause that behavior. Weird they diagnosed it like that.

#21 ·
thats what i feel the problem is. They said there was a code that came up when they plugged in the scan tool. they insisted that I had to have a check engine light on... i think they are just trying to screw me on almost a grand worth of work. Im going to try and have the fluid checked next week

#23 ·
I thought a tranny flush was recommended at every 30,000 mile interval. I had clocked 60k so I had the tranny flushed. The factory doesn't recommend this? They couldn't give me a code number yesterday because the service advisor didn't put it in the notes and she doesn't even remember seeing my jeep. I think she has lost her mind!

#25 ·
Well i took it in today to have the fluid checked again by a different dealership. Same result. The fluid absolutely perfect. However they are finding a fault in the computer saying the ECM is failing. So I am going to order it today from Justforjeeps.com and hopefully have it here this week. Shits weak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.